EDUCATION & INSPIRATION
This is a collection of resources that I've been gathering for many years.
I update this page weekly, constantly refining and adding and sorting.
There is no longer any excuse for ignorance of our history, our potential futures,
and how to deliberately contribute to a more peaceful and harmonious world.
The resources below are books, films, gurus, organizations, and movements that have
inspired and informed me on my unique red road journey.
Naturally, I'm excited to share this life-giving material with you. Aho!
I've always been a creative, and music has always spoken to me so powerfully. From the first thoughts of Inipi to the idea to create Inipi Radio as its voice,
and all throughout the development of presentations, concepts and this very website...We had two albums playing non-stop.
The energy and inspiration of these works of
art are indelibly intertwined with the Inipi brand.
The lyrics of Nahko Bear's HOKA album was such a beautiful inspiration. It was as if the wisdom keepers were walking alongside us as we dreamed and created. Thank you Nahko!
The PLANETARY documentary also came out right around the time we began the idea of Inipi. It blew our minds. Of hundreds of documentaries, this is still at the top of my list. It's one of the most profoundly beautiful and inspiring documentaries I've ever seen. It's important. And it articulates the power of our interconnectedness like nothing I've ever seen.
Not only is the PLANETARY film amazing, the soundtrack from HUMAN SUITS is absolutely spellbinding. I've listened to this album more than any other album in the last couple years. My children go to sleep to it. And it plays through our home and car on repeat.
When I started this podcast, I just knew I wanted to try and inspire people to align with nature, humanity, and Spirit. So when it came to the theme music, I knew it had to be evocative and heart filling. I went through hundreds of options. But in the end, I couldn't top this soundtrack. It was perfect.
I used it for some episodes and then emailed the Human Suits, asking for their permission. They replied quickly, after listening to multiple episodes, saying, "we would be most happy for you to continue using our music for your podcast, and that includes any track from the Planetary OST." I was blown away, and so grateful.
Thanks so much to Justin, Jerome, and Max for their generosity!
Jeremy Rifkin is an American economic and social theorist, writer, public speaker, political advisor, and activist. Rifkin is the author of 20 bestselling books about the impact of scientific and technological changes on the economy, the workforce, society, and the environment. His books have been translated into more than 35 languages. The Third Industrial Revolution (VICE produced, 104 min documentary) describes the birth of a new economic system that can address climate change and create a more equitable and empathic world. Simply put, I believe this is the answer to our economic crisis. Period. Rifkin began implementing his plan in Germany about ten years ago. Now, Germany leads the world in sustainable energy and divestment from fossil fuels, (the bedrock of American Capitalism). In 2016, they passed a resolution that calls for a total ban on internal combustion engines by 2030. At this point, when people ask me, "What's the one thing you think we can do to save the world?", I just reply, "Put Jeremy Rifkin in charge of saving it. He's already got a plan."
I cannot fully articulate the importance of this film.
This chronicles the raw truth about what has transpired in regards to the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) and the relationship between the fossil fuels industry and the United States government. In decades to come, scholars and the masses will look back at this time saying, "if we only knew when it was happening, we could have stopped it".
Well, it's happening. Right now. And it's almost so unbelievable that most Americans won't even believe it when they see it. The government and corporations are using Nazi tactics to divide and conquer, no different than in the days of conquest that took this land we live on now from our indigenous ancestors.
If you truly care about our country, you must understand what our country is involved in. The fact that this is happening right now in modern America is shaking to the soul.
Of all the documentaries I've seen,
I believe this to be one of the most important.
My personal vision is "to inspire a deep reverence for our interconnectedness in every person I encounter". This film exposes the history of "medicine" in the US. It explains the truth about psychedelic medicine and explains what we can do to play a role in advancing the next evolution of society. This isn't just about psychedelics. It's about politics, capitalism, philanthropy, and interconnectedness. I encourage you to watch this with an open mind and share your experience with others.
This film utilizes the island of Kaua'i to articulate the problems and solutions for today's world.
I have a personal interest in Kaua'i, as it is the (near) future home of Inipi, and my family. A lot of the attraction comes from the fact that they have such a passion for bringing the wisdom of our ancestors forward into modern life, so we might heal our relationships with the land and people. I encourage you to explore the work of Waipa Foundation, which is the primary character of the film. This is a deeply beautiful and important film.
GURUS & SAGES
Ram Dass: Going Home
Bobby Kennedy for President
Bless the Water
The Farthest: Voyager in Space
Beyond Our Sight
What the Health
Before the Flood
Neurons to Nirvana
The Reality of Truth
Requiem for the American Dream
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (13 Episodes)
The Economics of Happiness
The House We Live In
The Union: The Business Behind Getting High
The Culture High
Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States (Netflix)
AWAKE: A Dream from Standing Rock
RISE (Viceland series on Indigenous People)
Collective Evolution Series
These teachings have influenced my life and perspective more than any others. The Tao Te Ching still sits on our kitchen table and is studied daily. The Art of War and Hagakure were the first two books to completely transform my understanding of the world and our ability to alter our own perspectives and life experience.
I could not possibly recommend these teachings more. However, if you are interested in reading them, I suggest you give each one at least a year’s study (or a lifetime). Some need to be preceded by other books that will teach you how to read and understand these age-old books of wisdom. They are not books you sit down and read front to back. They are meant to be studied, to be lived.
- The Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu / translated by Stephen Mitchell
- The Art of War by Sun Tzu / translated by Thomas Cleary
- Hagakure by Yamamoto Tsunetomo / translated by William Scott Wilson
- The Dead Sea Scrolls / 981 Ancient Texts, including the Hebrew Canon (Holy Bible) and Torah
- Sermon on the Mount / A workshop by Richard Rohr
- A Course in Miracles / Drs. Helen Schucman and William Thetford
- Abraham Hicks / Complete works by Esther and Jerry Hicks
- Alan Watts / Complete works by Alan Watts
American Indian Activism
There are many, many films that have inspired me. It's a medium that speaks to me. But these are at the top of my list. I've seen them all many times. They are life-giving, inspiring films about consciousness, time, relationships and the meaning of life. They are masterfully crafted experiences.
- The Journey of Crazy Horse by Joseph Marshall III
- The Lakota Way: Stories & Lessons for Living by Joseph Marshall III
- Living the Lakota Way: Learning from the Land, the Spirits, and Our Ancestors by Joseph Marshall III
- To You We Shall Return by Joseph Marshall III
Five Essential Books
These five books were the catalysts for pivotal shifts in my life. I’ve read them all many times now and still keep them on hand. These are game changers.
- Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life by Wayne Dyer
- Tears to Triumph: The Spiritual Journey from Suffering to Enlightenment by Marianne Williamson
- Money and the Law of Attraction by Esther and Jerry Hicks
- Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived by Rob Bell
- The Journey of Crazy Horse by Joseph Marshall III
- The Zero Marginal Cost Society: The Internet of Things, the Collaborative Commons, and the Eclipse of Capitalism by Jeremy Rifkin
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
- You are the Placebo by Dr. Joe Dispenza
- Enlightenment Now by Steven Pinker
- I Asked for Wonder by Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel
- Bold: How to Go Big, Make Bank, and Better the World by Peter Diamandis
- Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think by Peter Diamandis
- What Is the Bible? by Rob Bell
- I Can See Clearly Now by Dr. Wayne Dyer
- Playing The Matrix by Mike Dooley
- What is the Bible by Rob Bell
- Wishes Fulfilled: Mastering the Art of Manifesting by Wayne Dyer
- Dying to Be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing by Anita Moorjani
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- Walden & Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau
- What We Talk About When We Talk About God by Rob Bell
- How to Be Here: A Guide to Creating a Life Worth Living by Rob Bell
- The Magic of Awareness by Anam Thubten
- Life After Death: The Burden of Proof by Deepak Chopra
- The Law of Divine Compensation by Marianne Williamson
- Spontaneous Evolution: Our Positive Future (and a Way to Get There from Here) by Bruce Lipton
- The Overview Effect by Frank White
- Science Set Free: 10 Paths to New Discovery by Rupert Sheldrake
- Revolution by Russell Brand
- Who Rules the World by Noam Chomsky
- Start with Why by Simon Sinek
- Reality is Not What it Seems by Carlo Rovelli
1% for the Planet
Friends of the Earth (FOE)
Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation
David Suzuki Foundation
Natural Resource Defense Committee (NRDC)
The Climate Reality Project
Environmental Defense Fund
The Nature Conservancy